After my long run this afternoon I relaxed on the couch and watched Intervention while Tim and Lincoln napped. It was such a peaceful time. I don’t think I do enough sitting around these days. It seems like these days if I’m not out running or cooking then I’m cleaning or blogging. It felt so relaxing to just sit and do nothing else for a while, I even dozed off for a bit.
This afternoon I put some serious thought into what goals I want to strive for in the upcoming month. I don’t want to be too strict on myself and set goals that are unattainable or that I can’t stick to long term. The things I have chosen are things that I would like to make a habit of. Some of these things I struggle with in my daily life and some are things that were once habits and for one reason or another I’ve gotten away from.
- Take Vitamins Daily – I was doing really good at this for a while, and I got out of the habit. I find that I did the best remembering to take them when I would leave them out on the kitchen counter instead of in the medicine cabinet.
- No Snacking At Work on Other People’s Food – This is one of my major weak points. We always have candy, snacks and various junk food around at work and I used to have the willpower to say no, but lately I have really been struggling. I want to find the willpower again that I once had in this area.
- Stay Within Points for Day/Week/Activity – Lately it seems like my body has needed more fuel than usual. While this is fine in itself, I still have a few pounds I need to lose and I want to keep myself atleast within the alloted points I have for the day, week and accrued activity.
- Track Points Everyday – This will help me be accountable for what I eat and will also help with the urge to snack at work.
- Weigh & Measure All Food – Again this goes along with the previous points, its all about accountability.
- Minimize Sweets – I’ve never been a big dessert eater, but for some reason lately I have really increased my sweet intake. A little every now and then is perfectly acceptable but I don’t need desserts everyday.
- Concentrate on Nutrition and not just Points – I’m already pretty good at this, but there is always room for improvement. I want to make sure to concentrate on the nutrional value of my food and not just the calorie/fat content.
- No Binges! – Occasionally (every couple weeks or so) I just absolutely binge eat, and that is unacceptable. It usually starts with a snack and when the urge to eat is not satisfied I continue to stuff my face until the urge has passed or I’m sickly full. I want to concentrate on noticing when a binge is beginning and stop it in its tracks.
- Stop Eating When Satisfied – This goes along with no binge eating. I need to assess my hunger levels and fullness levels and stop eating when my body has had enough regardless of how much food remains on my plate.
Some of these goals will be easy and some of them will be struggles, but I’m commited to making these points a habit in my life. You’ll notice I didn’t include any goals about physical activity, I feel that at this time I am where I need to be in regard to exercise. I plan on continuing my Half Marathon training as schedule and don’t feel like at this time I need improvement in these areas. Eating is where the troubles at!
Speaking of eating … Tonight for dinner I made BBQ chicken in the crockpot. This is one of my new favorite crockpot recipes since I discovered it a couple of weeks ago. Its so incredibly easy that its almost ridiculous! I served the BBQ chicken over mashed potatoes with a side of sauteed onions and green beans. Delish!